Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“At 3M, we excel by combining our talents while leveraging creative and curious minds. This is most impactful when we center our objective at improving the customer experience. It’s a privilege to work for such a great company, with amazing people, and leadership that cultivates a growth-mindset.” – Eric Hammes, executive vice president of Enterprise Operations at 3M
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-12 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. The target dates for the internship duration is May through August. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
About the Frontline Program:
The 3M Frontline Internship Summer Program offers qualified students a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work on the behalf of one of our Business Groups in a business analytics internship position. For the 11-week assignment, the first 2 weeks will be spent attending an orientation and training program. Participants will then spend the remainder of the summer working in their assigned internship position. The internship runs from late May until the first of August.
Interns work on projects that represent real challenges faced by 3M’s business units and mirror the work conducted by full-time members of the department. Through networking and corporate-sponsored events, interns are exposed to many facets of 3M.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a Frontline Business Analytics Intern, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Researching, analyzing, and identifying key data-driven insights from internal and external data.
- Performing correlation studies that determine what additional data sources, including External Economic Indicators, can be leveraged to improve business processes.
- Clearly articulating insights in the form of actionable recommendations that enable growth for strategic planning and operational execution by business leadership.
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited institution
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree, or higher, Business Analytics or Data Modeling from an accredited institution
- Completed a minimum of junior year (6 semesters) by the start of the internship
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Completion of two of the required class in the major, minor or concentration
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and SQL
- Data modeling software experience such as “R”, Python, or other related tools
- Comfortable navigating complex data structures, and applying efficient data mining techniques
- Developed statistical acumen and examples of applied analytics
- Ability to solve through ambiguity, highly responsive and driven individual for a demanding work environment
- Project management and requirements definition experience
- Presentation delivery and clear/concise articulation of thoughts/information to tell a story through data
Location: St. Paul, MN
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.