Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 curious, creative 3Mers.
“At 3M, we excel by combining our talents while leveraging creative and curious minds. This is most impactful when we center our objective at improving the customer experience. It’s a privilege to work for such a great company, with amazing people, and leadership that cultivates a growth-mindset.” – Eric Hammes, executive vice president of Enterprise Operations at 3M
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-12 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. The target dates for the internship duration is May through August. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
About the Frontline Program:
The 3M Frontline Internship Summer Program offers qualified students a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work on the behalf of one of our Business Groups in an inside sales internship position. For the 11-week assignment, the first 2 weeks will be spent attending an orientation and training program. Participants will then spend the remainder of the summer working in their assigned internship position. The internship runs from late May until the first of August.
Interns work on projects that represent real challenges faced by 3M’s business units and mirror the work conducted by full-time members of the department. Through networking and corporate-sponsored events, interns are exposed to many facets of 3M.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a Frontline Inside Sales Intern, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Working on projects that represent real challenges faced by 3M’s business units
- Taking advantage of initial and ongoing training opportunities and exposure to senior leadership
Each internship will differ based on the 3M business group where the intern is placed. At completion of the intern assignment, each intern will be expected to have demonstrated the following skill sets:
- Territory Management: work with territory reps and create a coverage plan; conduct evaluation of competitive, penetration, and retention end-user accounts; identify appropriate key contacts within end-user accounts
- Sales Planning: conducted thorough end-user account research; confirm scheduled appointments; established sales call objectives; prepare questions in advance
- Customer Focus: understand customer’s organization and structure, manufacturing and distribution, brand strategy and customer
- Selling Skills: understand the importance of listening skills within the sales process; ask probing questions to uncover customer needs; create a sense of urgency; maintain and grow account list through cross-selling; determine the end-user customer needs; maintain alignment between selling cycle and buying cycle and adjust as require; relate relevant benefits and close the sales
- Teamwork/Problem Solving: recognized and accepted team goal(s); demonstrated respect for and worked cooperatively with other team members; identified problems and their cause; persevered in solving problems; demonstrated a positive attitude; maintain a professional manner with customers and channel partners; displayed trust in other team members; work independently, be self-motivated and energetic
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited institution
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree, or higher, Sales or Marketing from an accredited institution
- Completed a minimum of junior year (6 semesters) by the start of the internship
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Completion of two of the required class in the major, minor or concentration
- Strong time management skills, ability to analyze and solve complex problems, communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Strong aptitude and desire for a career in sales
Location: St. Paul, MN
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.