Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“A long-lasting career at 3M comes from having vision, imagination and the ability to see what doesn’t exist. 3Mers are groundbreaking innovators and it’s important that we give every person the space for disruptive and creative thinking.” – John Banovetz, senior vice president and chief technology officer at 3M
The Technical Aide Program is designed to support the 3M technical community; participants assist the 3M technical staff in the performance of their job responsibilities. It is a great way to get relevant work experience that complements your education.
This is a part-time, temporary position and is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Applications on this requisition are reviewed and filled on a rolling basis; it is in a candidate’s best interest to apply as soon as possible. Interested candidates should include a resume as part of their application.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As Technical Aide, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Collaborating with senior researchers on an assigned product/technology development project
- Documenting detailed experimental records in 3M electronic laboratory notebooks
- Analyzing experimental results and offering explanations for observations to project team
- Collaborating with other R&D functions as needed for project including researchers from other groups, analytical chemists, process engineers, and the like
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Completed at least one semester of a post high school degree program from an accredited institution
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Sciences, Food Science, Materials Science & Engineering, Math/Applied Math, Mechanical Engineering, Physics/Applied Physics, Polymer Science or a related field from an accredited institution
- Current cumulative GPA 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Completed a minimum of sophomore year (4 semesters) by the start of the assignment
- Completed at least one laboratory course or internship
- Good organizational skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for hands-on experimentation
- Experience with the Microsoft suite of computer programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and database tools, development and manipulation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Availability to work approximately 10 hours weekly during the academic year and up to 32 hours weekly during the summer
Location: Maplewood, MN
Relocation: Is not authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain “non-U.S. persons” (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, “Temporary Residents” (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees’ U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company’s sole election.
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.