Graphic Design Internship
November 1, 2020 – April 1, 2021
Alliance Française Mpls/St Paul
AFMSP is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting French language and culture in the Twin Cities. We are the fifth largest chapter in the United States of a worldwide organization. We are located at 227 Colfax Avenue North in Minneapolis’ Harrison neighborhood.
The mission of the Alliance Française Mpls/St Paul is to serve our community by promoting the use and appreciation of French Language and cultures through language classes, cultural programs, social events and information resources.
The Graphic Design Intern is responsible for designing flyers, posters, website banners, and general printed announcements for our events and promotions. The intern is also in charge of completing design work for Le Courrier, the AFMSP quarterly newsletter. The Graphic Design Intern will work closely with the Cultural Events Coordinator, the Development Director, and the Education Director, as well as additional staff members and interns who will provide information to be used in creating flyers, graphics for website publication and brochures among other projects.
Please note: An ability to speak French, while desirable, is NOT required for this position.
Internships are unpaid. AFMSP will sign off on class credit, if your institution offers it. Interns are invited to take free classes at AFMSP (class materials and membership fee not included). Free parking on-site at AFMSP.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, cover letter, and work samples or link to online portfolio.
Deadline to apply: October 25, 2020
Office Hours & Intern Duties
- Maintain office hours for 10 per week. During the pandemic, this can be done remotely.
- Any travel or direct interaction at a client location offsite will be counted among office hours
- Dress & behave professionally (business casual in office & semi-formal for events)
- Check email, be prompt with responses during office hours
- Collaborate with AFMSP staff to create successful products and further our brand
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Suite is required
Flyers & Format Requirements
- After an event has been confirmed and details coordinated, information will be passed to the Graphic Design Intern for creating event flyers
- Flyers must follow AFMSP’s basic style guide in order to create cohesion in all of our publications
- Most documents should be created with Adobe InDesign and/or Adobe Illustrator so that they can be converted to both PDF and JPG and used electronically
- A potential side project could be creating an InDesign Tutorial Guide for staff use, or involvement with website redesign and branding
- Produce promotional materials for Alliance Française events including: Fête d’hiver, Spring Open House, our annual gala in May 2021, and Bastille Day promotions for flyers. Note, Bastille Day is one of our largest events and regularly attracts 3,000 attendees.
- Interns are encouraged to bring new ideas to AFMSP. This list includes past projects that are likely to repeat.