We at Best Buy work hard every day to enrich the lives of consumers through technology, whether they come to us online, visit our stores or invite us into their homes. We do this by solving technology problems and addressing key human needs across a range of areas, including entertainment, productivity, communication, food, security, and health.
**Housing and relocation are not available for this position**
**This position is available Winter 2020**
**Best Buy is not able to offer visa sponsorship now or in the future for this position**
Join the energetic, fast-paced external communications team at the Fortune 80 retailer as a full-time, paid intern this holiday season. In this role you will work with the communications team to tell the story of Best Buy, including helping with proactive and reactive media relations, content planning and creation, media monitoring and more. The internship will be remote while Best Buy’s corporate campus is closed due to the COVID19 pandemic.
Position Duration: 30-40 hours per week, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9am-5pm CST, for approximately four months during the holiday season with potential to be extended.
Core responsibilities include:
- Assist in building media relationships, pitching, prepping spokespeople and managing internal relationships
- Research, compile and maintain ongoing media contact lists
- Assist in building pitch materials to showcase key campaigns and drive times
- Interview employees and customers that help tell stories that support brand initiatives to be used across internal and external channels
- Draft external communications materials for the Best Buy blog and communications team’s social media channels that support brand campaigns, key drive times and company announcements
- Assist in writing internal communications materials for the company magazine
Monitoring & Reporting
- Use media monitoring tools to compile and categorize media coverage
- Field incoming media requests
- Monitor and report on news stories and pop culture trends to identify relevant proactive media outreach opportunities
- Actively participate in virtual weekly, monthly, and quarterly meetings and brainstorms within the communications department
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with manager and communications team while working remotely
- Assist in preparing communications materials for virtual campus-wide events and activities
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in communications, journalism or public relations OR have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or public relations
- Previous public relations or communications internship experience preferred
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills
- Ability to maintain professionalism and manage multiple different tasks in a collaborative, fast-paced and virtual environment