General Duty Statement
At this time, we are in the process of opening the Lake Phalen Beach with lifeguards. Additionally, the Great River Water Park may potentially open with a limited service delivery model later this summer. If the need arises, we may utilize this posting to contact candidates for hire. We encourage you to apply for future hiring needs.
Please note, this information is subject to change without notice due to the Covid-19 response.
Are you passionate about recreation and community work? Consider applying to the Life Guard position with City of Saint Paul Parks and Recreation Department. You will join an Aquatic team who is committed to providing high quality and affordable aquatic programs to residents and visitors of Saint Paul. These are seasonal positions with employment dates approximately between May 26, 2020 to September 13, 2020.
Performs entry-level aquatics public safety work, monitoring and preserving order at a municipal beach, swimming pool, aquatic center, water park, and/or a children’s day camp. Teaches patrons swimming skills. Anticipates and recognizes aquatics emergencies. Participates in weekly or quarterly aquatics audits. Administers emergency treatment and uses emergency equipment during aquatic emergencies. Provides quality customer service. Adheres to a work schedule and hours assigned. Attends all mandatory staff meetings and inservice training sessions. Performs related duties as assigned.
Lifeguards are typically assigned a primary work location. Based on needs, work location may change to any of the four following aquatic locations.
Great River Water Park – 270 N. Lexington Parkway
Como Regional Park Pool – 1151 Wynne Avenue
Highland Park Aquatic Center – 1840 Edgcumbe Road
Phalen Beach – 1400 Phalen Drive
Click here to view more information about each of the aquatic location.
Hours: Aquatic facilities are open seven days a week, from early morning (5 or 6 AM) to evening (8 or 9 PM).
- Shifts vary (e.g. early mornings, days, nights) and include weekends.
- Shift hours can be negotiable between 5 AM to 9 PM, depending on location.
- Expect to work a combination of mornings, evenings, and weekends to ensure there is full coverage at each facility.
- Number of work hours* may be between 15 – 40 hours per week; depending on business needs.
*NOTE: More full-time shifts may be available by mid-June.
Typical Duties Include:
- Monitoring assigned guarding stations and swimmers
- Ensuring participants are abiding to facility rules
- Providing customer service to clients, customers, and participants
- Responding to situations such as assisting or rescuing swimmers, providing first-aid care, and etc.
- Setting up and preparing for scheduled programs
- Provide swimming lessons and water aerobic classes as assigned
- Cleaning and maintaining work area to ensure a clean and safe facility
- Competing routine paperwork
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Lifeguard (year round) Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
Must possess swimming skills. (Swimming skills are defined as being able to swim 200 yards, tread water for 2 minutes and swim in 12 feet of water.)
Must pass the life-guard training class approved by the Division of Parks and Recreation before employment and maintain current life-guard licensure, including Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Automated External Defibrillator (AED), Oxygen, and First Aid Certification to continue employment.
An ability to speak in a language other than English is a plus, not a requirement.
Note: Proof of certifications and licensure must be submitted to hiring authority upon conditional job offer. Swimming skills will be evaluated upon conditional job offer.
Need to take a Life-guard training class approved by Parks and Recreation? Click on either links below and register online:
- Great River Water Park (March 30-April 2; April 24-26; and May 1-3): http://bit.ly/spprlgsummer2020
- Red Cross lifeguard classes (dates varies): https://rdcrss.org/2MZJpuW?
Mandatory 2020 Training Dates for all hires include: 5/30, 5/31, 6/6 and 6/7.
By Closing Date, you MUST
1. Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
2. Upload or submit the following documents via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- Life-guard licensure, including Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Automated External Defibrillator (AED), Oxygen, and First Aid Certification to continue employment (if you possess at the time of application)
First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
Not sure how City of Saint Paul’s hiring process works? Attend one of our Elevate sessions. The schedule is available at www.stpaul.gov/elevate.
Selection Process Information
Temporary: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. Benefits are not provided for this position.
Final Selection Process: If selected, you will be contacted for an interview. Only complete applications will be considered.
Condition of Employment: This position requires a background check which may include criminal history and employment history as a condition of employment. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Nou Chang at 651-266-6519
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran’s preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.