Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Unite Manager/DON, a Licensed Practical Nurse performs as a licensed care giver and assumes responsibility and accountability for assigned residents/patients for a shift of duty. Nursing care is provided through coordination, implementation, and evaluation of the resident’s/patient’s plan of care. The LPN adheres to the standards of care for the area, manages the environment to maintain resident/patient safety, and supervises the resident/patient care activity performance by nursing assistants. LPN’s follows all center policies and procedures and. Performs perform duties as defined by the State Nurse Practice Act.
1. Supervisory responsibilities:
- Supervises the NARs’ work assignments, schedules, and adherence to policies
- Makes daily work assignments
- Directs the work of employees
- Schedules lunch and rest breaks
- Authorizes early departure from work
- Authorizes overtime
- Reassigns employees from one area to another area as center needs dictate
- Prepares written evaluations of assigned employees
- Enforces center policies with authority to issue Disciplinary Action Reports as needed
- Authority to suspend employees for rules violation
- Initials time records to authorize variances
- Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility
- Receives and handles employee complaints
- Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff
2. Provides the following nursing Nursing functions:
- Makes frequent rounds to monitor resident/patient conditions and to ensure nursing personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
- Provides direct resident/patient care, including medication administration. Makes observations, records and reports to the appropriate person any symptoms, reactions and changes in resident/patient condition.
- Review care plans daily to ensure that appropriate care is being given
- Keeps physician informed of resident/patient conditions.
- Receives and transcribes physician’s orders to resident/patient charts, Kardex/Care Plan A, Medication Administration Record ® (MAR) treatment/care plans, as required
- Charts nurses notes in an information and descriptive manner reflection the care provided and the resident’s/patient’s response to that care
- Gives/receives nursing report at shift change
- Completes all reports and forms as required
- Participates in Interdisciplinary Pan of Care (IPOC) meetings are requested
- Follows all controlled drug policies and procedures are required
- Follows locked medication room and medication chart policies and procedures as required
- Ensures assigned work areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner
- Assures charges and accounted for on all chargeable items
- Documents all pertinent data as required by Medicare, Medicaid, Center standards and policies
3. Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with the center Center Compliance Program.
4. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy
5. Attends and participates in-service training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed
6. Follow center dress and hygiene policies
7. Follows safety policies and procedures:
- Knows and follows center rules
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repair
- Follows center smoking policies
- Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents/patients, staff or visitors to the appropriate center personnel
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor
- Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents/patients, as assigned in Center Disaster Plan
- Uses required protective equipment
- Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures
8. Acts to protect resident rights and follows HIPPA guidelines.
- Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights
- Reports resident complaints to management
- Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information
- Follow and adheres to Center’s policies and procedures implementing HIPPA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information
- Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks (applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid).
- Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPPA policies or procedures to Center Privacy Designee
- Performs other duties as directed by center management
- Participates in all-hands dining
- Works overtime, holiday, and weekend hours as scheduled
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including::
- Lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted)
Education: Licensed in the state as a LPN
Experience: Experience in Senior Care
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Able to use necessary supplies and equipment (feeding pumps, oxygen, treatment trays, medication chart, etc.).
- Able to calculate drug dosage,
- Meets all health requirements imposed by law.
- Ability to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other center staff.
- Able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Demonstrates basic computer knowledge (Microsoft Office, Outlook, MS Word, etc)
- Demonstrates basic computer knowledge and ability with an aptitude to learn company applications.
- Microsoft Office version 1997, 2000, or XP, MS Word, Email, Outlook, Internet Explorer.