Lionsgate Academy is a public charter school open to students of all abilities in grades 7 through 12, and also offers a transition program for students ages 18-21. Lionsgate’s program is inclusively designed to address the unique learning needs of students living on the autism spectrum as well as students with other learning differences.
Lionsgate Academy continues to grow! Lionsgate offers smaller class sizes, professional development opportunities as well as, work/life balance, AND all in a fun, collaborative and supportive work environment. We are looking for passionate and driven educators, who believe in our mission and are excited to join our team!
POSITION TITLE: Developmental Adaptive Physical Education (DAPE) / Physical Education Teacher/Health Teacher
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Building Principal/Special Education Coordinator
POSITION STATUS: Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4:00 pm
DUTY DAYS: 187
The role of the DAPE/Physical Education/Health Teacher is to support the development of lifelong health and fitness for students with disabilities In addition, to design individualized physical education plans based upon the students’ ability levels rather than grade level standards.
- Design and teach DAPE/physical education programs that are based on the current IEP or assessed needs of each student and provide research-based, quality instruction to each student in the least restrictive environment.
- Develop lesson plans for grades 7 through grades 12 that ensure the attainment of state/district and/or national learning standards and the additional learning standards set forth in the charter, support individual learning plans, and multiple learning styles.
- Act as part of the IEP team and child study team for DAPE-qualified students; attending all qualified meetings with staff and parents and providing necessary information on student progress.
- Assess students for DAPE qualification or re-evaluation purposes.
- Interpret students’ test results and needs; contributing to IEP documentation by writing present levels, goals and objectives.
- Act as part of the IEP team and child study team for DAPE-qualified students.
- Model, implement and evaluate strategies related to learning, social, emotional and behavioral needs to enhance DAPE/Phy-Ed curriculum.
- Maintain control and storage of all Lionsgate owned equipment used for physical education/DAPE.
- Participate in professional growth activities including conferences, workshops, coursework, committees, etc.
- Work cooperatively in sharing knowledge, skill and expertise with others and consult with teachers regarding best practices for classroom programming.
- Maintain positive, professional relationships and use appropriate verbal, nonverbal and written communication with all individuals.
- Regular, prompt attendance
OTHER POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- MN Physical Education and DAPE license
- One year previous experience in middle or high school setting
- Ability to operate a computer and the software necessary to complete required job task
- Dual licensure in Physical and Health education
- Experience working with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder and/or mental health conditions
- Student focus
- Considerable knowledge of specific disabilities, primarily autism
- Strong understanding of child development and human anatomy
- Understanding of learning theory
- Classroom and behavior management skills
- Teamwork orientation
- Ethical Conduct
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Stress Management/Composure
- Extensive knowledge of fitness equipment and exercise programming.
- Ability to scaffold traditional physical activity skills for a wide range of learning styles.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing all day.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students, staff members and families.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, mean, mode and median.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
This position description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned. Ability to competently perform all of the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.