CAPI USA (CAPI) has been working with immigrant, refugee and U.S. born communities in need since 1982 and serves over 6,000 participants annually across three core service areas including Basic Needs, Economic Empowerment and Civic Engagement. With a diverse staff of 30, who collectively speak 15 languages, a new headquarters in Brooklyn Center, MN. and a second multi-service community center in Minneapolis, CAPI is working hard to help close the equity gap as we celebrate the tremendous skills, strength and resiliency of those who walk through our doors. CAPI’s mission is to guide individuals in their journey toward self-determination. CAPI’s holistic programming seeks to enhance economic and social change opportunities that allow people of all ages and nationalities to lead successful lives.
This position is responsible for the day to day coordination of CAPI’s Benefits Enrollment Center (BEC) services which is designed to ensure all older adults are enrolled in public benefits programs for which they are eligible. The Navigator will focus on enrolling eligible older adults in SNAP; Medicare Savings Programs; Medicare Part D/LIS Extra Help which assists with Medicare prescription costs and Medicaid which assists with healthcare costs, and the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
The navigator will:
- Provide culturally appropriate, person-centered direct navigation assistance to enroll people in public benefits program.
- Independently conduct outreach and establish new referral partnerships with other service providers and health agencies
- Provide MNsure navigation for enrolling people in a health plan
- Assist with grant reporting for the BEC and MNsure program.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with a positive attitude, good judgement, and a passion for working with older adults and low-income communities.
- Assess client eligibility for public benefits by completion of an over-the-phone or in person financial intake.
- Provide screening, information, and 1-to-1 assistance to connect low-income individuals on Medicare to public benefit programs.
- Enroll clients directly into CAPI’s Benefits Enrollment Center program and assist clients to complete the public benefit applications.
- Provides screening and 1-to-1 assistance to individuals enrolling in MNsure health insurance plans.
- Recruit and/or obtain referrals of clients that are determined to be eligible for benefits enrollment services.
- Works with CAPI staff to encourage promotion of BEC navigation services and serving as the point person for all CAPI staff referrals.
- Effectively utilize external and internal databases (Client Track).
- Represents and promotes the agency’s mission and programs in a variety of public settings (outreach sites, events, organizations, referring agencies, etc.).
- Abide by privacy laws and understand the need to maintain client confidentiality.
Education and Experience:
- 4-year degree in a related field or 2 years of related experience
- Customer service experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of older adults needs and experiences
- Knowledge of public assistance programs and familiarity with enrollment processes (Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP, LIHEAP, LIS, MSP, etc)
- Ability to independently develop strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders and effectively conduct outreach
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations and knowledge of cultural competence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be flexible, diplomatic, and exercise excellent judgement in communications with clients, stakeholders, and colleagues
- Multilingual candidates strongly preferred (Spanish, African languages)
- Ability to demonstrate high degree of professionalism in communication, attitude, and teamwork with CAPI’s clients, staff, and management.
- Ability to produce high quality work, with attention to detail and consistent follow through.
- Ability to exercise sound and rational judgement when assisting all visitors and answering questions.
- Excellent customer service, relationship and problem-solving skills
- Able to work effectively in a mission-driven agency whose clients and staff exhibit significant diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, gender orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, and religion
- Ability to use & adapt to different technology tools including MS Office programs and databases
- Ability to secure MNsure Navigator accreditation within two weeks of employment
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Access to reliable transportation required.
Our organization has a partnership with Metropolitan Alliance of Connected Communities (MACC) to provide administrative services including management of the recruiting process. If you apply for this position, you may see references to MACC in some online materials. You may also be contacted by a MACC employee to conduct or schedule an interview.
Apply Online: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/MAC1006/JobBoard/3b1fb13e-5af2-4f52-8e92-21f02f74a53f/?q=&o=postedDateDesc