- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: Remote, anywhere within the U.S.A.
- Start Date: January 11, 2021 – June 4, 2021
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
Who we are:
It’s an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with over 14.5 million weekly listeners, and a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans.
Marketplace is one of the most dynamic multimedia brands in the country, known for an irreverent approach to business and economic news on multiple platforms. Our currency is good ideas. We value creativity and unorthodox thinking. And while we are serious about covering business and the economy the right way, we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Intern, Digital – Marketplace:
Our newsroom is seeking an individual who has an active interest in journalism and digital platforms. We are seeking a creative and data driven intern to provide support to the digital team. Are YOU that person? If so, you will have an opportunity to work alongside web producers, editors and reporters with a focus on making sure the site is kept current and engaging. You will learn how to strengthen skills in writing, content creation, editing, curation and remote teamwork.
Key Learning Goals:
This would be a great role for someone interested in digital producing, editing and reporting.
- The culture and business of a nonprofit media organization.
- Insight into the journalism industry and Marketplace’s properties. The digital team touches everything from radio to digital, writing to copy editing.
- Help the website team drive audience engagement and help further our mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country.
- How to use Google tools to determine and increase Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Tangible experience in daily website updating for a journalism organization.
- Help to source, optimize and place relevant images into digital stories.
- Research and add links to previous MP articles and other sources in new Marketplace stories.
- Work with team members to rewrite radio stories into website articles.
- Use SEO best practices to help come up with headlines and descriptions geared toward search engine optimization.
- Join the digital team meetings and trainings.
- Research story ideas to suggest to digital reporters.
- Help curate special sections, collections and possibly Homepage, making sure they are kept up to date.
- As time permits, write occasional original articles with your own byline to be published on Marketplace.org.
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or public transportation.
- Eligible to accrue sick time off.
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA.
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience.
- Professional development: on-the-job training, intercultural development assessment, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Participate in brown bag sessions to gain broader perspectives of the organization.
- Enrolled Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 18 months.
- Self-starter with an interest in journalism and how economic news intersects with people’s lives.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively.
- A team player who is accountable, proactive, and solution-oriented.
- Coursework or experience in journalism and ideally specifically digital writing and editing.
- Ability to create charts, maps graphs for the website a plus but not required
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Working knowledge of Outlook email client
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.