The primary role of a Science Teacher is to enhance the learning environment for students by providing effective, personalized attention; engaging in appropriate instructional and behavioral support; and, modeling intellectual and principled living by demonstrating character and intellectual virtues in accordance with Nova Classical Academy’s classical education tradition.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide instruction of core curriculum with appropriate use of instructional resources
- Meet and/or exceed expectations on formal evaluations, including Q Comp
- Complete required reports for parents and/or administration
- Perform classroom management duties including enforcing student conduct rules and providing appropriate disciplinary action, as needed
- Attend professional learning community (PLCs) and staff meetings
- Adherence to Nova policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a relevant field
- Valid Minnesota teaching license in 5-8 Science
- Proven understanding of development levels
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with regard to student and other information
- Demonstrated professional and technical knowledge in special education
- Aptitude for work with students at various grade and development levels
- Committed to professional and technical development through attendance at development activities, scheduled meetings, and relevant training
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Valid Minnesota teaching license in 9-12 Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics
- Current or previous experience working in a classical education environment
- Experience as a Teacher, Educational Assistant, Paraprofessional, or Para Educator
- Current or previous experience instructing science curriculum
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for periods of one hour or more
- Must be able to exchange accurate information with students, teachers, parents, and staff
- Frequent lifting up to 25 pounds and occasional lifting up to 40 pounds
- Regular operation of computer or other office machines
For eligible employees, Nova Classical Academy provides health, dental, and vision insurance; short- and long-term disability; life insurance; flexible spending account; paid time off; and, professional development training, including Classical Education Certification training.
ABOUT NOVA CLASSICAL ACADEMY
Nova Classical Academy, a Minnesota charter school dedicated to high academic achievement through the classical model of education, attends to the dual strands of human development: rigorous pursuit of intellect facilitated and given purpose by the refinement of moral character. It is our express goal as a school to provide meaningful enterprise towards this two-fold process. All administration, teachers, support staff, and students, as transformational leaders, strive to model both intellectual and principled living for our school and community through daily activities and interactions in accordance with the character virtues of justice, temperance, prudence, and fortitude; and, the intellectual virtues of wisdom, science, and understanding. These values are visible in our commitment to the Nova community, education, student clubs, sports, and other active involvements.
This long-term substitute position has an expected minimum duration of five to six (5-6) months (through January 2021) and may be extended further.