Planned Parenthood North Central States
Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) – Rochester, MN
New Grads $44/hr. (experience compensated)
At Planned Parenthood North Central States (PPNCS), we believe all people deserve the right, the freedom, and the opportunity to follow their personal ambitions and choose their own path toward a healthier, more meaningful life. That’s why we protect, promote, and provide comprehensive and progressive sexual and reproductive health care for generations of young people and families with empathy, care, and respect. We are looking for passionate, dedicated staff who are eager to make positive contributions to their community and to the Planned Parenthood mission.
Under the general administrative supervision of the Clinic Manager, the clinical supervision of the Director of Clinical Practice, and in collaboration with the Medical Director, the APN provides clinical services, including reproductive health care, to patients at their designated PPNCS clinic(s). APNs are also advocates in implementing our mission of “Affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.”
The APN practices according to the PPNCS MS&G, and as indicated by the patient’s status, include the following:
- Obtain pertinent patient history and perform physical exams as indicated by the visit type
- Recognize and address deviations from normal
- Perform, order, and interpret both screening and diagnostic testing; address abnormal findings
- Develop plan, which may include treatment or other referrals, and/or prescribe medications
- Provide patient instruction regarding plan of care, preventive education, and health promotion and maintenance
- Consult with Medical Director or Clinician On-Call as indicated
- Obtain informed consent when indicated
- Collaborate with health care team and other community agencies and resources as indicated
- Assess interventions and/or referral progress as indicated
- Document accurately and clearly
- Supervise clinic support staff regarding routine patient orders
- Collaborate with Clinic Manager to meet clinic goals, productivity benchmarks, and assigned tasks
- Provide customer-focused care and assure smooth and efficient patient and clinic flow processes
- Interpret scientific studies based on knowledge of basic research principals; provide input and current information for ongoing protocol development
- Stay up to date on reproductive health care developments and maintain CEU requirements for required licensure and certification
- Meet quality assurance requirements, including the appropriate dispensing of medications
- Maintain patient confidentiality and meet compliance requirements, including HIPPA
- Meet coding and documentation requirements
- Possess basic comprehension and skills of PPNCS clinic computer technology as it specifically relates to the APN role
- Recognize ethical, legal, and professional issues inherent in providing reproductive health care
- Communicate clinical and professional issues and questions to the Director of Clinical Practice
- Follow protocol and training requirements for expanding scope of practice and/or learning new procedures (i.e. colposcopy, IUD insertion, etc.)
- Work to ensure understanding and acceptance of the APN PPNCS role with colleagues, consumers, and the community
- Follows PPNCS policies and procedures
- Appropriately supervise RNs who are qualified to utilize the Standing Orders and RN Condition-Specific Protocol (Minnesota Only); appropriately supervise support staff (MAs and LPNs) in the utilization of Standing Orders
- Prescribe all FDA-approved methods of birth control
- Provide medication abortion follow-up or refer patients for medical abortion
- Refer patients for surgical abortion, prenatal care, or adoption services
- Counsel HIV+ patients
- Assist physicians with evaluation of medication abortion patients
- Understand and work as a team to meet PPNCS productivity goals. Productivity results will be presented, monthly, to the clinic staff by the Clinic Manager. Annual performance monitoring for clinic staff will include an assessment of whether established productivity goals have been met.
- Support, cooperate with, and implement specific procedures and programs for safety and security, confidentiality, quality assurance, compliance with current laws and regulations including HIPAA and mandated reporting, and training.
- Support clinical operations and patient access by being willing and able to pick up shifts at other clinical locations as needed.
- Commit to collaborating in a diverse organization through equitable practices and an inclusive culture.
- Support and participate in:
- Common teamwork (cooperate and work together with all co-workers)
- The use of tactful, appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations, demonstrating compassion, empathy, and dignity for all
- Following up as appropriate with supervisor, co-workers, and patients regarding reported complaints, problems, and concerns
- Promoting a positive public image and relation of PPNCS
- Completing requirements for acceptable attendance and timeliness to work, uniform, and dress codes, including personal hygiene
This is a full-time position working 37.5 hours per week.
Tentative schedule: Monday, Tuesday Friday 9a-4:30p and Wednesday, Thursdays 10:30a-6p
This position is eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, long-term disability, life insurance, PTO, extended illness leave, volunteer time off, paid holidays, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Physical Work Intensity and Work Environment
Level 2, Light – The majority of this position’s time is spent sitting in an office environment. Occasional physical demands include lifting 10-20 lbs. and extended periods of standing and walking. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required APN Qualifications
- Current state license as a Registered Nurse and APN
- National Certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse (i.e. Women’s Health Care, Adult, or Family Practice NP) through the National Certification Corporation (NCC), or as a Certified Nurse-Midwife through the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM)
- Any additional requirements for practice/prescriptive authority in MN or SD
- Any additional requirements to be credentialed by third-party payors, i.e. a master’s degree
- Current CPR certification
- One year of clinical experience in reproductive or family health care
- Experience working with high-risk minority populations
- Bilingual language skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Effective communication skills
- Leadership and supervisory skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong customer service skills
- Computer skills
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Willingness to work with volunteers
Planned Parenthood North Central States supports people of all ages in making responsible choices and planning their futures. We are an organization committed to creating and fostering an environment that leads to engaged employees, and we believe engaged employees results in satisfied customers and exceptional experiences. When you work for Planned Parenthood you make a difference in the lives of those we serve by affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.
Planned Parenthood is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce that effectively employs the skills and talents of all employees in our organization. All applicants will receive consideration regardless of their race, color, creed, sex, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, size, disability, socioeconomic status, or status with regard to public assistance. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position. AA/EEO
Any job offer will be contingent upon the results of a background investigation.