Shelter Program Internship
Sojourner Project, Inc.
Title: Shelter Advocacy Intern
Reports To: Community Outreach Coordinator and Shelter Coordinator
Position Summary : Sojourner Project is a non-profit organization dedicated to the increased safety and well-being of those victimized by domestic violence and abuse. We offer programs and services through advocates on the 24/7 Crisis Line, in the shelter, and in criminal and family court. We also provide information and education to build awareness and promote violence prevention.
This internship will allow candidates hands on experience in our emergency shelter program. Interns will work closely with advocates to provide support, resources and advocacy to victims of domestic violence and their children. After training, interns will provide case management to clients, legal advocacy and support to Sojourner staff advocates. All interns are required to attend training sessions offered at Sojourner. A background check also needs to be completed. Interns are required to follow all Sojourner guidelines, policies and procedures outlined in the training.
· Monitor the crisis line
· Complete residential intakes
· Provide case management and systems advocacy
· Assist with programming and supervision of children
· Assist advocates with other shelter tasks which may include:
-Clerical support, serving meals, household/organization tasks and cleaning projects
· Women, 18+ years
· Ability to relate to clients of diverse backgrounds
· Minimum of 15 hours a week, day and evening shifts
· Must be reliable and on-time, good communication skills
· Maintain confidentiality and appropriate professional boundaries
· Preferred: Education and/or experience related to domestic violence, trauma and/or sexual violence
How to Apply:
Please visit our website https://www.sojournerproject.org/get-involved to fill out an online application. Questions can be sent to email@example.com. The internship is unpaid but can be done for class credit. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.