Mental Health Direct Support Professional
Wingspan Life Resources is seeking committed, high-quality Mental Health Direct Support Professionals (MHDSP) to fill Part Time, Full Time, and On Call positions at our Crisis Home in Inver Grove Heights. The MHDSP provides support and supervision to clients with disabilities and/or mental illness that are in need of crisis intervention services and/or behavioral programming to rehabilitate, and transition clients back to permanent housing. Some openings include sleep and awake overnight shifts.
The MHDSP is responsible to protect and promote the health, safety and well-being of each client and this position ensures that all services are delivered according to Wingspan Life Resources policies and procedures along with county, state, federal and licensing rules and regulations.
Our Hiring Process:
Job candidates completing our online application on our website will be considered for one of our current openings available at our Crisis Home location. During the interview process, the Program Director and House Coordinators will determine a good fit for both the needs of our clients and your desired schedule.
Summary of duties:
- Ability to work in fast paced environment (crisis home) and work with a variety of Individuals diagnosed with severe intellectual disabilities such as Autism to severe mental health.
- Locate, read, understand, and implement all Wingspan Life Resources policies, procedures, and Incident and Emergency procedures for the site.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Program Abuse Prevention plan and of the individual’s background, skills, program plans, SMA, CSSPA, and IAPP.
- Takes initiative when responding to a crisis, ability to quickly problem solve and or de-escalate situations and monitor the safety of individuals and provide support and supervision in a therapeutic manner with the least restrictive methods of intervention.
- Document methods, progress, and results of all service delivery and interventions with measurable, factual data.
- Implements formal/informal crisis plans, program plans and/or behavioral objectives using person-centered planning.
- Enable individuals to make choices in all areas of their lives. Encourage use of public resources and recreational facilities; provide community integration opportunities.
- Assist individuals with daily routines including, but not limited to, household tasks, cooking and eating, individual self-care, socializing, use of leisure time, health and safety, money management and behavior management.
- Provide transportation to appointments and activities on a daily basis.
- Maintain documentation, record keeping and participate in meetings and complete required training.
- Demonstrate proficient training and pass minimum work performance standards.
- 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Three years’ experience working with individuals with disabilities and mental illness and/or a degree in Psychology or Social Services with one-year experience.
- One-year experience working with individuals with high behaviors.
- Ability to clearly communicate, read, and writing skills adequate to write narrative documentation in grammatically correct sentences.
- Must be comfortable using a computer
- A valid Driver’s License, reliable transportation with proof of auto insurance, and the ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Check.
- The ability to successfully pass a background check as determined by the Department of Human Services.
Founded in 1973, Wingspan Life Resources is a growing and dynamic nonprofit organization that provides services to people with developmental and other disabilities in 27 residential homes, a Crisis Respite Center, and also In-Home programs throughout the Twin Cities.
Becoming a Team Player at Wingspan Life Resources can make a difference in the lives of some very special people with developmental and physical disabilities in a variety of unique and rewarding opportunities. As an employee of Wingspan, you will be a part of one of the most respected organizations serving people with disabilities in the Minneapolis and St. Paul areas.
Generous Benefits Package:
Employees scheduled to work 20 hours or more are offered: Dental Insurance, PTO Accrual, Company Paid Life, Short-term, Long-term disability insurance, and enrollment in our 401(k) plan fully vested and matched at 4%.
Employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more are offered: Medical and Dental Insurance, PTO Accrual, Company Paid Life, Short-term, Long-term disability insurance, and enrollment in our 401(k) plan fully vested and matched at 4%.
Wingspan Life Resources is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance, or any other basis protected by law. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, promotions, compensation, benefits, termination, or any other condition of employment.